August 29, 2011

Cracking under pressure

When I first met Yoda, one of the first few things he asked me was “How do you work best?” I didn’t think much of this question so I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind, “I work best under pressure” Bunuh diri kan? Little did I know that this simple answer would affect the way I was going to be supervised in the future.

At that time, all I knew about Yoda was that he’s an old professor whose fields of expertise include literacy acquisition and learning difficulties. I didn’t know that Educational Psychology was also one his majors. Being in this field, Yoda supposedly understands the different processes and conditions under which a person can fulfill his individual potential. So. The question he asked me in the beginning was meant to help him help me fulfill my potential.

Thanks to my candid answer, Yoda has given me lots of motivation in the form of pressure. My data collection work, analysis, drafts, presentations etc were all done UNDER PRESSURE. My proposal defence for example, was presented 16 hours before I gave birth to Alva. I work so well under pressure that it has literally become part of my life. Last February, I was diagnosed with hypertension stage 2.

Until today, Yoda still insists on having weekly meetings so that I could work UNDER PRESSURE. I should probably tell him I don't want to work like this anymore but I figured, ah, too late now. I have 8 more months to go.

I'm having one those weekly meetings tomorrow and I am supposed to submit a discussion section for Chapter 5.  Everything's so fuzzy, I don't know where to begin. I haven’t even started writing the first paragraph. But then, that's not really what I'm worried about. What bothers me is the fact that I am no longer motivated by pressure.

I've got less than 10 hours to get my work done and yet I'm not panicking. It feels so refreshingly scary cos  this is so not me.

Is there another way I could work better?



"Hamm: This is the perfect time to be hysterical!!!"


Or should I just take Hamm's advice?

 



7 comments:

CathJ said...

ayo.. by reading this.. I felt pressure too haha.. all the best Lizz... Lucu tu cartoon punya reaction..hihihihi..

Amanda Christine Wong said...

He totally psycho-ed u! but it's all for u good, right...or is it. heh

Gunaqz said...

I trust you can do it, Liz :-). Remember, this too shall pass. Palan-palan ko aa.

Tina said...

Now you really know how to work under pressure! Good luck with Yoda... or sudah limpas ka?

Lizeewong said...

Cath- Iya..suda limpas la moi tapi masa tu adui paning kapala sia! Terus sia ingat ckp si Hamm hehhehe..Maklumlah, si Alden tgk Toy Story3 hari2.

Manda- Kan??? He really screwed with my mind. For my own good la kunun tu..

Gunaqz- Thanks a lot. Semangat sia baca komen kau :) Palan2 pun sampai juga last2 kan? :)

Tina- Iya..limpas suda...Less pressure now. But next Tuesday, I have to go through it all over again :)

chegu carol said...

LOL!
You can duit Liz!
KO anggap juga lah macam ko naik gunung dulu Liz, pelan2 naik smpai juga di atas...hehehe, baru fresh dari naik gunung, example pun naik gunung bah kan kena kasi :D

Lizeewong said...

Kay- Hehe..Tu example tu ba..betul2 fresh dari gunung :) Ya, palan2 sampai juga kan. Mau tahan2 hati ja ni, kasi kuat semangat. Thanks my dear.